The Wooden Shoe
What Makes Our Kindergarten Readiness Program Special?
Kindergarten is the culmination of the preschool
experience. Each child is an individual and we work with each to develop
their skills, expand their knowledge and encourage an approach to learning
that is interesting and exciting.
December birthdays will be accepted upon school evaluation and availability.
Experiences in kindergarten work towards:
- Increasing the child's social experiences by daily contact with others
and learning to play fairly and in a cooperative manner by sharing and
respecting the rights of playmates.
- Developing muscular coordination through physical activities, games,
block building, painting, sewing, drawing, cutting and pasting, etc.
- Developing and broadening his or her interests by providing many interesting
experiences in the curriculum - science, math, social studies, etc.
- Developing a love of books and an interest in reading.
- Increasing his/her vocabulary and expanding his/her knowledge of the
world around them with whole language activities, as well as songs and
- Encouraging self-expression through discussion and dramatization.
- Creating charts and graphs to illustrate their classroom experiences
and to record their learning activities.
- Learning comprehension, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Developing phonics skills through daily language lessons and an individualized
- Learning how to work independently on tasks that are part of the various
- Giving the child a feeling of security and self-reliance by developing
his/her natural aptitudes for any medium in which she/he shows talent
- Developing a healthy, happy attitude toward adult guidance
Special Enrichment Activities
- Daily homework to reinforce academic lessons and parent awareness.
- Informative monthly newsletter about classroom projects and activities.
- Bi-annual Teacher/Parent Conference and Progress Reports
- Readiness testing for 1st grade placement.
Featured Educational Trips
- Bronx Zoo
- Vanderbilt Planetarium and Museum
- Museum of Natural History
- Old Bethpage Village Restoration
- Sands Point Preserve Science Programs
- New York Aquarium
- Post Office, Pet Shop, Beauty Salon, Nursing Home, Children's
Hospital, Bookstore, Supermarket and Florist.
| Intro | About Us |
Infant Program | Toddler |
Nursery and Pre-K | Kindergarten |
Daily Routine | Special Events | Home |
The Wooden Shoe Nursery School